American pioneer Derrick Carter is a man that oozes cool wherever he goes. Born into the Chicago house scene, Carter was instrumental in shaping the genre as we know it today. From his early ventures with Mark Farina and Chris Nazuka as the group Symbols & Instruments in the late 80’s to setting up the acclaimed Classic Recordings with Luke Solomun in 1995, Derrick has always been on the pulse of innovation and that’s where he continues to sit.
The Classic Music Company is perhaps one of Carter’s biggest achievements. The artists who’ve released on the label include Tiefschwarz, Matthew Herbert, DJ Sneak, Metro Area and of course Carter and Solomun themselves. In an interesting jerk to the system, the releases started from 100 and worked their way down. CMC100 was the first and CMC001 was the last, as was planned before, the label stopped operating once the countdown had finished.
After a break the label came back with the statement ‘All hail the king because the king is back. Long live Classic!’ and now it’s business as usual. Aside from his hefty discography on Classic, Carter’s output is seemingly endless. He’s dropped EPs on City Slang, Robsoul, Ministry Of Sound and he was responsible for the outstanding Fabric 56 mix.
Loved and adored by DJs and industry heads alike, Carter is one of those selectors that you can always rely on getting a party started the right way. His mixing style is frantic yet controlled and no two sets are ever the same. We managed to secure a mix from the man himself and this is a rare thing.
As someone who likes to leave the party in the club and firmly in the moment, we’re thrilled that we’ve been given an hour and a half from Carter’s Queen! residency at Chicago’s infamous Smart Bar. You can look forward to a classic house set that rolls, bumps and uplifts from the second it starts. Step back, take a breath and listen to the master In Session.
Mixmag is the world’s biggest selling dance music and clubbing magazine.
DERRICK CARTER IN SESSION FOR MIXMAG
1. Isolee Beau Mot Plage (Freeform Five Rx)
2. 3 Winans Brothers (feat. The Clark Sisters) Dance (Louie Vega Latin Soul Rx)
3. Ch’i (feat. Alison Crockett) Loneliness (Sandy Rivera Rx)
4. Doc Link ’Musical Chairs’
5. The Realness ’Shade’
6. Jasper Street Company ’A Feeling’
7. Reel People (feat. Angela Johnson) ’In The Sun’
8. Brand New Heavies ’Sometimes’ (MAW Rx)
9. Sounds Of Blackness ’Joy’ (David Morales Rx)
10. D.J. Spen ’Stranger’
11. Cabin Fever ’Beyond Contact’
12. CoCo De Jour ’Love Me Tonight’
13. Jackie Moore ’This Time Baby’ (SrCsMc “More Room For Baby” ReEdit)
14 Natural Rhythm ’Wham Tool’
15. Murray Head ’One Night In Bangkok’ (White Label Bootleg)
16. Amé Lorrain ’Whole Wide World’ (Wingate House Rx)