Herbie Hancock is a true icon of modern music. Throughout his explorations, he has transcended limitations and genres while maintaining his unmistakable voice. With an illustrious career spanning five decades and 14 Grammy® Awards, including Album of the Year for River: The Joni Letters, he continues to amaze audiences across the globe.
There are few artists in the music industry who have had more influence on acoustic and electronic jazz and R&B than Herbie Hancock. As the immortal Miles Davis said in his autobiography, “Herbie was the step after Bud Powell and Thelonious Monk, and I haven’t heard anybody yet who has come after him.”
Born in Chicago in 1940, Herbie was a child piano prodigy who performed a Mozart piano concerto with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at age 11. He began playing jazz in high school, initially influenced by Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans. He also developed a passion for electronics and science, and double-majored in music and electrical engineering at Grinnell College.
The Imagine Project is an album by Herbie Hancock released on June 22, 2010.The album, which was recorded in many locations throughout the world and features collaborations from various artists, was complemented by a documentary about the recording process.Hancock’s interpretations of these songs are cross-cultural. His version of “Imagine” was inspired by the Congolese group Konono N°1. The instruments used on “The Times, They Are A’ Changin” combine the West African kora with the Celtic flute, fiddle and Uilleann pipes.
- “Imagine” (P!nk, Seal, India.Arie, Jeff Beck, Konono N°1 and Oumou Sangaré)
- “Don’t Give Up” (P!nk and John Legend)
- “Tempo de Amor” (Céu, Baden Powell, Vinicius de Moraes)
- “Space Captain” (Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks)
- “The Times, They Are A’ Changin'” (The Chieftains, Toumani Diabaté, Lisa Hannigan)
- “La Tierra” (Juanes)
- “Tamatant Tilay / Exodus” (Tinariwen, K’naan and Los Lobos)
- “Tomorrow Never Knows” (Dave Matthews)
- “A Change Is Gonna Come” (James Morrison)
- “The Song Goes On” (K. S. Chithra, Chaka Khan, Anoushka Shankar and Wayne Shorter)
TEMPO DE AMOR
A CHANGE IS GONNA COME